Vibration: Know Your Limits [Infographic]
When you’re working with drills and power tools, the
vibrations from the equipment can have a huge impact on your health. Whilst a
change may not be obvious at first, frequent exposure to vibration can cause
changes in your tendons, muscles, bones and joints - leading to conditions like
hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS)
and carpal tunnel syndrome.
These conditions involve frequent attacks that can include numbness and loss of strength in your hands. This can prevent you from performing everyday tasks at work and at home. With HAVS, attacks can cause your fingers to turn white, then red and painful on recovery. This is sometimes known as vibration white finger. With continued exposure, these attacks can last longer – or even become permanent.
The good news is that you can prevent these conditions before they get anywhere near this stage by taking a few simple precautions.
Know Your Limits
A points system has been developed to measure exposure to vibration. Every action you take with certain tools has a points value, and these are added up during the work day. If you are going to exceed 100 points in a day, you should manage the risks from vibration carefully. You should never go over 400 points in a single day.
Check out our #GOSAFE infographic guide to find out more...
- Case Studies
- GO SAFE
- How to Protect Wildlife on Site
- Invasive Species: Beware of the Giant Hogweed!
- Power to the People
- How to Keep Your Phone Battery Alive for Longer
- Lone Working: Lone, But Not Alone
- Healthy Eating: The #GOSAFE Guide [Infographic]
- Healthy Eating: Introducing our New #GOSAFE Campaign
- The Handy Guide to Vibration White Finger - Video
- Vibration: Know Your Limits [Infographic]
- Not Shaken, Not Stirred: Introducing our New #GOSAFE Campaign on Vibration
- Checklist: What Should I Do If I Find Asbestos On Site?
- Asbestos: The #GOSAFE Guide
- Asbestos: Where Are We Now?
- Are you Asbestos Aware? Introducing our new #GOSAFE campaign...
- Staff Spotlight